Backup is the best savior for end users who had lost their crucial data. It helps to get back the original data from such situations like system malfunctioning or external hard drive failure, and more. Meanwhile, MS Outlook is the most commonly used email application for professional as well as personal use. It contains all data items like emails, calendars, contacts, etc., which are saved within the PST file format. Therefore, if end users want to switch Outlook profile from an older system to new one, backing up the .pst file is not enough. In the upcoming section, we are going to describe an efficient solution to let users understand how to backup of Outlook emails automatically and manually.
Instant solution: To Take a backup of Outlook 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007, 2003, 2002 emails, contacts, calendars, etc. into the hard drive with attachments automatically. Download Outlook Recovery Tool to save Outlook emails into PST, EML and MSG format. You can also export Outlook data to Office 365 format. The tool supports Windows 10, 8, 8.1. 7 and below versions.
Different Workarounds to Backup Outlook Emails
There are different situations whenever users want to take backup of Outlook emails. For example: when migrating from one computer to another or retrieve Outlook data after a system crash. In another case, getting a healthy PST backup file can also reduce the pain, so it is one of the best technique to backup emails from Outlook 2003, 2007, 2010, 2013 and 2016 a while, especially if you are using email at work.
One of the most reliable ways to make a backup copy of Outlook emails is to export Outlook PST file automatically. Apart from email messages, this can also save contacts, calendars, tasks, and notes.
How to Take Backup of Outlook 2016, 2013 Emails
Go through the set of instructions to backup Outlook emails to the hard drive. Let’s have a look:
- Open MS Outlook, click on the File tab and select Open & Export
- Then, choose Import/Export option
- Now, Import and Export Wizard will pop up on the screen and then, you will select an option Export to a file. Click on Next
- Choose Export to a file option and press Next button
- Next, choose the email account that you wish to back up, and keep in mind that Include subfolders checkbox is enabled. This will migrate all folders like email format (Inbox, Outbox, Drafts, etc.), Contacts, Calendar, Tasks, Notes, and Journal.
- Otherwise, you can choose a specific folder to export, for e.g. Inbox. It can not be possible to choose multiple folders, so if you need to maintain back up a few folders, you have to repeat the entire process for each folder individually
- In the next step, save a copy of the PST file to the default location C:\Users\username\Documents\Outlook Files\backup.pst
- If you have no query, directly click on Finish button
- To save the PST backup on another place, click on Browse and then, choose the desired location. Press the OK button
- If you are moving to the previous .pst file, select the specific option for duplicate items. In many cases, default Replace duplicates with items exported option works fine
Note: Before exporting your Outlook data, an existing folder and file name will appear. To prevent overwriting a previous backup, make sure to type the different file name before selecting OK button.
- While creating a new OST file Outlook suggest you protect it with a password if it contains sensitive information. So, here you can enter the password and click on the OK button. Or else directly click on the OK button and save it unprotected.
If you want to export password protected PST files then, you have to enter the previously used password. On the other hand, when exporting the non-protected .pst file, Outlook will start the export process instantly without displaying the password dialog box.
Keep in mind that converting a large PST file may take much time and the progress bar will show on the current screen until the backup process is finished.
How to Take Backup of Outlook 2010 in Windows 7, 8 Step by Step
- To make Microsoft Outlook 2010 backup, go to File menu and click on Options. Then, select Advanced button and click the Export option
- After this, Import and Export Wizard will appear on the screen and now, perform steps (2)-(6) as described in above section
How to Backup Emails in Outlook 2007 Manually
To backup emails, contacts, and other items in MS Outlook 2007 follow below steps:
- First, Click on File tab, and then select Import and Export option
- Now, you have to run the Import and Export Wizard and configure it exactly by performing the above steps of Outlook 2013 backup.
Here, the Outlook data is exported in PST file, so you can move a file in the normal way. For example, you can save the Outlook backup to a Dropbox or OneDrive and afterward, import it to the new computer.
Advantages of Manual Approach
Exporting the PST file is a simple, quick and secure way to backup Outlook 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007, 2003, 2002 emails and other items that can be accomplished easily. Additionally, it will allow making a selective backup, i.e. move only required data and filter out unimportant folders such as Junk or Deleted items.
Limitations of Manual Solution
Migration of PST file is not a complete backup of Outlook data. This approach can copy the most necessary items like emails, contacts, appointments, tasks, and notes. But sometimes, Outlook data file (.pst) is lost during export, even if all the folders and subfolders are included in it. Among others, the conversion process does not save the following data i.e., message rules, signatures, custom forms, custom views, and folder properties.
If Outlook PST file is corrupted, then the above manual solution does not work. So, in this case, download and run Outlook recovery software to repair corrupt PST file and then backup Outlook 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007, 2003, 2002 emails, contacts, calendar to into PST / EML / MSG format. You can also export Outlook emails to Office 365. It helps to get a quick backup of all Outlook items along with email attachments. In addition, it is capable enough to create a copy of important data from the Outlook account. It is one of the best solutions that also work at the time of Outlook PST corruption. The tool is compatible with Windows 10, 8, 8.1, 7, XP and below versions.
Also Read: How to Fix Outlook File Access is Denied Error Message?
There are many ways through which backup can be taken for Outlook PST file. There are several methods described in this post. All of them will work perfectly depending on the users need and comfort. It can often be seen that manual solutions are very lengthy and time-consuming as well. Therefore, we have suggested a third party tool that helps to take backup of all PST items easily without any data loss. It is one of the best ways to make a copy of important data from an Outlook profile.